Fly TWA to Paris

From this wonderful 1950’s-era postcard: “A feature of the Mural Lounge aboard TWA’s Jetstream aircraft is a distinctive painting by Maric Zamparelli, representing a major city or nation along TWA’s world-wide routes. Each plane in the Jetstream fleet has a different mural subject. This card shows Zamparelli’s interpretation of Paris.”

This is an image of the Starlight Lounge from one of these aircraft, from the collection of Jon Proctor, and used in the book From Props to Jets: Commercial Aviation’s Transition to the Jet Age 1952-1962by Proctor, Mike Machat, and Craig Kodera. These aircraft were prop-driven Lockheed L-1649a (Starliner) Constellations, or “Connies”, and carried around 60 passengers in comfort and style. According to Proctor et al., “With pull-out footrests and deep seatback recline, the chairs were nearly as comfortable as the sleeper berths that were also available, and provided a competitive edge, both on transatlantic and transcontinental segments.” Nowadays, of course, airlines treat you like a sardine, and charge you for the privilege of bringing a suitcase along.

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Bob Scotney says:

As a long haul sufferer each year I’ve never had the privilege of jets or turboprops like the one you show from the 50s.
    I do remember flying TWA on a few occasions; now I seem to be stuck with Delta.

2. Jo Graham says:

Travelling was so much more glamorous before “cattle class” came along 🙂 Jo

3. There’s a style there that has gone forever. Such a shame.

4. viridian61 says:

And people dressed up for an airplane flight – it was an Event.

5. Kristin says:

I haven’t flown in years but I sure never had a flight like the one pictured ;-P

6. postcardy says:

I haven’t flown since before 9/11, so I haven’t had to deal with all the airport hassles and extra fees. I never flew when flights were as luxurious as the TWA one pictured either.

7. Tattered and Lost says:

I just remember chewing Chiclets in the old days. The stewardess would come down the aisle with a small wicker basket containing tiny boxes of chiclets to help you keep your ears open upon landing. My mother would hand me a box which contained two pieces of gum and I was supposed to chew both, not save one.

8. Wendy says:

I know only today’s version of flying, but it is interesting to see old photos and movies with people smoking on the plane.

9. Alan Burnett says:

That particular postcard is a special one for me. See http://newsfromnowhere1948.blogspot.com/2011/03/experiment-in-transatlantic.html
    Welcome to Sepia Saturday, I hope you become a regular contributor.

10. Nancy says:

That was an interesting little video. It gave glamorous appeal for traveling to NYC by air. In the photo view of the inside of the airplane, I was surprised to see so many people holding cigarettes. Times change.